Staff are now invited to make applications under the Shorter Working Year (SWY) scheme for 2023, for pro-rata pay deductions of any duration, and for 10 to 13 weeks off-pay. Please note that applications for off-pay SWY of under 10 weeks can be submitted at any time, if at least six weeks’ notice is given.
Applications for pro-rata SWY and for off-pay SWY of 10 to 13 weeks will be accepted until 4pm on 30th September 2022. Late applications will not be processed.
For all staff:
- Before making an application, refer to any specific criteria issued by your own Department or Office in relation to this scheme.
- Discuss your application with your manager before applying.
- Only pending applications (where the manager has not yet given a decision) can be cancelled. Therefore it is important that all details are checked before applications are approved.
- Pro-rata SWY, once approved, cannot be cancelled or altered.
- If you opt for pro-rata SWY you will not be able to change your work pattern during 2023.
- For all pro-rata applications a Monday must be chosen as the start date.
- Only one application form can be submitted to cover all instances of pro-rata SWY, or to cover a single instance of 10 to 13 weeks off-pay SWY.
- Ensure you have read the SWY document on pssc.gov.ie as it contains important information on the calculation of SWY pro-rata and associated payslip deductions.
- For pro-rata SWY please check your payslips in January 2023 for the SWY deduction, and notify us if you think there is a problem.
We would like to draw your attention to Circular 14/2009 which deals with the Shorter Working Year Scheme.
You can find further information, as well as a step-by-step guide to applying, on our website. Frequently asked questions can also be found here.
If you have any queries please submit your question on the Case Management System (CMS), or by email to SWY@nsso.gov.ie.
National Shared Services Office