Skip to main content

Long-service additional leave

What it is

Employees are entitled to extra annual leave based on their service or grade history.


This entitlement can be affected by employees availing of unpaid leave (for example: career breaks).

  • Annual leave entitlements vary according to grade and length of service
  • The Organisation of Working time Act (1997) gives all full time employees a statutory minimum of four working weeks annual leave

General service grade entitlements


  • Clerical Officers and Executive Officers must have 5 years in service (to claim an additional annual leave day) or 10 years in service (to claim a further additional annual leave day).
  • Higher Executive Officers and Assistant Principals must have 5 years in the grade (to claim an additional annual leave day) or 10 years in the grade (to claim a further additional annual leave day).

How to apply for add an annual leave day

1) Fill out this form. Scan the form and submit through the case management system. If you can only submit your form by post please put your existing case number in the box if applicable.

2) Click on attach, enter your case management user ID and password. Click on 'add a case', fill out the online form and attach the form. You can also hand the form to your manager for completion.

3) If you are an employee and are unsure of the process for you, consult pages 21 to 25 of the how-to guide. If you are a manager and are unsure of the process for you, consult pages 21 to 25 of this how-to guide.

4) If your request is approved is given, you will receive a confirmation email. In the email will be a link to attach additional documentation if they are required. If you can only submit your additional documentation by post please include the cover sheet with your documents, this can be found by clicking on the forms button below.

5) If you have a general question about adding an annual leave day, you can submit a HR case.

6) If you only wish to submit a query on the case, click on 'submit' button. If you wish to see if there are existing answers to your query, click on 'submit and solutions' at the bottom of the online form.