Skip to main content

Pay and remuneration

NSSO Payroll Services or local payroll sections continue to administer pay for every employee, and NSSO HR Services or retained HR are responsible for preparing and providing instructions to payroll sections.

If you are unsure how to request updates for employees in your department or office, see the how-to guide.

You can download a payroll amendment form here.

Pay functions that require local HR involvement

NSSO will manage and administer pay and instructions which can be separated into five distinct areas. For any Payroll Services clients who do not avail of HR Services, the below is not applicable.

Manage and administer pay: All amendments to employees pay will be dealt by the NSSO Pay team who will instruct the relevant Pay Centre. Clarification may be requested on a case-by-case basis and Local HR will be provided with details of the request. However, in circumstances where it does not fall into another process HR should raise a pay change request form and raise a case, e.g. employee allowance, higher scales.

Increments: Local HR will be requested to approve/deny an increment if an employee falls outside the requested guidelines and criteria.

Allowances: Local HR will be required to submit allowance requests (with supporting documentation) directly to NSSO.

Recoupment of overpayment: Local HR will be contacted when an overpayment repayment plan is agreed with the employee confirming the weekly/fortnightly amount, start date and end date of the recoupment[CG1] . If an overpayment is identified for a former employee and if all reasonable efforts to contact the person fails, the matter will be referred to Local HR as the onus is on them to recoup the overpayment or write off the overpayment. However, if the person has a preserved pension this can be recouped through pension or lump sum when person retires.

NSSO will deal with any request regarding pay promptly to meet payroll deadlines for and on behalf of Local HR and employees, while maintaining data quality.

Please note: In most circumstances, amendments to pay will originate through a different team in NSSO other than the pay team. For example, if an employee applies for parental leave, that will originate in the leave management team but will be communicated to the pay team as part of the process.

Supporting information

Ad hoc payments

Requests for setting up any new non-employees on the payroll should issue from Local HR. Local HR should ensure that appropriate sanctions are in place for payments and that correct PRSI, pension abatement etc is applied. When Local HR are satisfied that all is in order, they will issue the completed set up form to NSSO to set up the non-employee on the payroll.

Download the ad hoc fees form here.

Local HR’s role

Local HR ensures that necessary sanction for the payment exists and obtains a copy of the sanction.

For clarification on issues about PRD, pension abatement and PRSI classification Local HR can consult with Scope Section, of the Department of Social Protection.

Local HR checks completed forms and if everything is in order, will complete the appropriate NSSO set up form and send it to NSSO along with copies of PRD 10 and any other relevant documents. NSSO will then instruct the payroll team to put the individual on the payroll.

How to instruct NSSO to set up a non-employee on payroll

To request NSSO to set up a non-employee on payroll, simply follow the steps below:

See the forms

Select the appropriate form based on the type of ad hoc payment

Complete and Save the form to your desktop.

Create a case on the case management system and attach all relevant documents.

Once you have attached the form, click the submit button.